Min menu

Pages

Oscar 2012 Meryl Streep bags her THIRD Oscar and Brad Pitt to lift the trophy for Best Actor

Oscar 2012 Meryl Streep bags her THIRD Oscar and Brad Pitt to lift the trophy for Best Actor

Golden Lady Meryl Streep bags her THIRD Oscar... as The Artist's Jean Dujardin beats George Clooney and Brad Pitt to lift the trophy for Best Actor

Thirty three years after she grasped her first gold statuette, Meryl Streep has secured her hat-trick of Academy Awards. 
It came on a night that saw a film with just two singular words of speech in its script sweep the board, as The Artist was named Best Picture, Jean Dujardin Best Actor and the Best Directing gong went to Michel Hazanavicius.

With awards for best score and best costume design, too, it was undoubtedly the Franco-American film's night. But it was an historical ceremony in more ways than one, as veteran actor Christopher Plummer became the Academy's oldest winner taking the Best Supporting Actor laurels for, ironically enough, film Beginners.

Big star: Meryl Streep scooped her third Oscar at the 84th Academy Awards. The actress was presented the gong for her portrayal of Margaret Thatcher in The Iron Lady



Leading lady through the decades: Meryl in 1979 as they celebrate her win for Kramer Vs. Kramer and last night she donned a gold Lanvin dress to pick up her award
But not even their success could distract from Meryl's towering achievement.
Aptly, the Golden Lady of Hollywood earned her third honour for her performance of former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher in The Iron Lady. She won a supporting actress gong in 1979 and the top award in 1982 for Kramer Vs Kramer and Sophie's Choice respectively. She had lost 12 times in a row since then.


Bosom buddies: 2012's Best Actress and Best Actor Meryl and Jean bond over their golden moment backstage


One man and his dog: Jean Dujardin and Uggie celebrated after he beats Clooney and Pitt to Best Actor, then The Artist trounced both their films 
With the emotion clearly getting to her, Meryl said that standing at the winners podium she 'sees my life before my eyes,' and insisted that her friends are what she holds dear from her career, more than the prizes it brings.
She said: 'I really understand I'll never be up here again. I really want to think all my colleagues, my friends. I look out here and I see my life before my eyes, my old friends, my new friends.
'Really, this is such a great honor but the think that counts the most with me is the friendship and the love and the sheer job we've shared making moves together,' said Streep, who is the record-holder with 17 acting nominations.


Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk
Reactions

Comments